Thursday, 30 July 2026

Āhuahanga

 Te whakaakoranga o ngā āhuahanga, panoni me te wāhi.

Very exciting to get new resources for teaching geometry.  I enjoyed learning about geometry.  It doesnt seem as scary as I thought it was.  Geometry is everywhere and also very connected to other areas of mathematics.

I feel more confident to teach the vocab and concepts of geometry in year 4 class.  I do think that I need to experience and do the activities before sharing it with the tamariki.  This will ensure my teaching will be explicit.  As I engage with the lesson, resources and learning outcomes, I will be very familiar with the new and prior knowledge.

The resources are very fun and interactive.  The are also a lot of hands on work that the tamariki can participate in, which will enhance the learning.  I can see some creative and interesting patterns coming out of some the work that is set up in transformation and reflection.

As a kaiako I will follow up on what the tamariki have learnt and recap on number talk, choral counting, algebra, and group rules.  I will need to set aside time for student/kaiako conference and student reflection forms/questions.  As a class we will share our mahi on rangitaki to get whānau feedback and support.


1 comment:

  1. Kia ora Lucy,

    Thank you for your reflection! It’s great to hear that geometry doesn’t seem as scary as you first thought! I love how you planned to experience the activities yourself first so you could feel confident with the concepts and vocabulary before sharing them with your tamariki. It’s also great to see how you’ve put this into practice and created meaningful connections for your tamariki. I’m sure they loved the hands-on and creative geometry activities and learnt lots along the way!

    Ka pai tō mahi!
    Elena

    ReplyDelete

Featured post

Rangi Whakamutunga: Hanga me te Tohatoha

Kua tae ki te mutunga o ngā mahi pāngarau nei.  Te mīharo hoki ngā tāonga kua whakakī i tōku kete matauranga pāngarau.  he mihi manahou tēne...