Thursday, 28 May 2026

Algebra - Taurangi

 E hika e!  He rawe te akoranga nei mōku.  This session was great for me.  Eventhough it was and is challenging for me I loved learning about algebra.  I appreciated learning the termonology and the different areas of algebra.  I still have a lot to learn.  One thing I will be taking away from todays session is trying things out myself, as the kaiako, before presenting it to the students.  This way I will be prepared for the possible problems and or discoveries while interacting with the mahi.

For the next week I have planned to focus on vocabulary and symbols.  Teaching the students the new termonology so they will understand the area of learning.  I will also teach the purpose of mathematical symbols, which I started at the begining of this term.  And great timing to share todays lesson on the equal sign.  Especially as I have always treated it as the finished product, the answer symbol...

The equal sign has a history, a creator, and an important purpose to it.  


I will be that kaiako that will be pulling out the scales in our resource room and using physical resources to understand the equal sign.  I will implement some kete activities that will encourage deeper thinking using the equal sign.



1 comment:

  1. Kia ora Lucy,

    Love your reflection - so honest and thoughtful. Great to see you giving the maths a go yourself first - that shift makes a real difference in designing and delivering meaningful learning for ākonga!

    I really appreciate how you’re weaving te reo Māori into your planning and resource design - such a great example of purposeful integration of language and maths. Thank you so much for multi-tasking at its best! With your permission, we may use your resources with future MPI participants to help normalise the language in the maths space.

    Excited to see how your exploration of the equal sign using balance scales and kete activities deepens your ākonga understanding of equality. I’m sure they’ll really enjoy discovering the history behind it and all the hands-on and digital activities you’ve planned!

    Looking forward to hearing more about your practice insights at our next MPI day.
    Ngā mihi,
    Elena

    ReplyDelete

Featured post

Rangi Whakamutunga: Hanga me te Tohatoha

Kua tae ki te mutunga o ngā mahi pāngarau nei.  Te mīharo hoki ngā tāonga kua whakakī i tōku kete matauranga pāngarau.  he mihi manahou tēne...